Parasols

No one would say that sunscreen is a fashion statement.
But a parasol certainly is.

Gazette du Bon Ton, LE JUDGEMENT DE PÂRIS, 1924, Illustration: Georges Lepape

Of course, a sunshade doesn’t replace your SPF, but it makes a very chic adjunct.

Georges Lepape 1922 Ombrelles et Chapeaux, Parasols and Hats, Gazette du Bon Ton

Popular for centuries as a symbol of status and refinement, the parasol is reemerging as effective sun protection from skin-damaging rays. Modern versions have a UPF coating that imparts an SPF to the fabric.

Art Gout Beauté, 1927

We rely on stationary umbrellas on the patio to stay cool and avoid sunburn, so toting your own in the form of an elegant accessory makes marvellous sense: it’s easy and practical.

Vogue, 1928

You need not look like you’ve stepped out of a Merchant Ivory movie, because parasols come in many styles.

Vogue 1919

You could even build an umbrella wardrobe to coordinate with what you’re wearing.

July 1950

CASUAL

Sunbella Parasols, Cosmopolitan Collection

STYLISH

Kung Fu Smith

DRAMATIC

Lily-Lark Taco

WOULD YOU USE A PARASOL?
I would. Living on the west (wet) coast I am very accustomed to carrying a rain umbrella, so using a sun parasol would be an easy transition. Happily, you don’t have to be burdened with a huge, heavy umbrella since many new SPF models are durable, well-made, and conveniently fold down to fit in your bag. Ideal when going in and out of doors when shopping. You’ll likely want a shoulder bag so you have one free hand. Just think, hat hair will never be an issue either.

With a parasol, you can be both walking in sunshine,

La Gazette du Bon Ton, Des Ombrelles, Georges Lepape, 1913

and walking in shade.

10 Comments

1. jodie filogomo
    August 2, 2019

Have you heard of https://www.lily-lark.com ? Lisa is in our Forever Fierce group and sells gorgeous parasols!!
    XOOX
    Jodie

2. August 2, 2019

Thanks so much for including Lily-Lark in your blog post!! Are you @womanofacertainage on Instagram? And are you on Facebook? Jodie mentioned the Forever Fierce group. Are you on there? I hope you don’t mind – I’d love to repost this!

3. August 3, 2019

Parasols may not be a popular as the once were but I have seen people walking in the street with umbrellas to keep the sun off their face. And these illustrations are beautiful.

Allie of

4. August 3, 2019

Beautiful illustrations on parasols! Love the purple one!

Have a lovely weekend!
    XO, Melissa

5. Kim Vardas
    August 3, 2019

I love parasols. I have 2 beautiful parasols from Lily-Lark. They are so elegant while protecting from the sun.

6. August 3, 2019

These parasols look really nice! I like that it is a two in one where you can look stylish while protecting yourself from the UV rays. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

7. August 7, 2019

I would love to carry a stylish parasol instead of a regular umbrella. These are so pretty. Love the purple one and it is just fantastic that they protect from the UV rays as well. 🙂

Via | http://glossnglitters.com