Rouge Illusion

When did Rouge become Blush?

New Lovliness for You, published in 1937, has instructions on how to apply rouge.

Richard Hudnut,

The little pot of cheek colour brightens and defines the face and gives a fresh and healthy luminosity to the skin. The objective is a subtle hint of colour and contrast that still looks natural and not obviously made up.

Finding a perfect cheek hue to flatter your complexion is challenging. And then there is the question of formulation, and yes, even packaging, to consider.

Switching from powder to cream makeup products is my current modus operandi. I want to look fresh and dewy, not dry, matte, and powdery.

I have a small but select makeup collection. I adore old-fashioned, gorgeous and glamorous compacts, ideally with a mirror so I can carry it in my handbag. The Elizabeth Arden brand seems to be ideally suited to the needs of women-of-a-certain-age. Perhaps because Elizabeth Arden has been selling cosmetics around the world since 1915.

Blush Rose, Vintage Cosmetics Advert, 1949

The Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush is both beautiful, elegantly designed, and nourishing with Arden’s exclusive ceramide triple complex, plus vitamins A and C, and environmental protectants to invigorate and brighten the skin whilst providing anti-ageing benefits.

I dot it on with my fingertips and the buttery formulation glides on smoothly and easily without pulling or tugging the skin. It also blends exceptionally well, and the pigmentation is richly saturated so you only need a tiny amount.

Rouge is a non-negotiable staple in my makeup routine. It perks up your face and makes you look instantly better by giving the illusion of a healthy radiance (no matter how you really look and feel). And, of course, this sets up a virtuous circle: you look in the mirror and since you look better, you start to feel better; and,then when you feel great, you look beautiful..

So never skip the rouge.
Because who can’t use a little illusion?

TO BUY: Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush (Nectar, Pink, Plum)
Amazon, The Beauty Boutique, Hudson’s Bay

SEE MY OTHER ELIZABETH ARDEN POST: The Sales

11 Comments

1. March 2, 2019

The packaging on that Arden Blush is gorgeous! I have only tried a small selection of their products but I’d love to try more. I really love blush, it makes such a difference to your overall complexion xx

GemmaEtc.com

2. Jade Sally Bevan
    March 2, 2019

Oh my that packaging is stunning

Amazing post

jadieegosh

3. Kate
    March 3, 2019

How lovely is that publication from 1937! I’m such a history geek so I love to see things like that. I couldn’t be without blusher – never fails to make me look and feel better. x

Kate Louise Blogs

4. March 3, 2019

Adore Elizabeth Arden products, I love the history of their brand, It’s such a visual journey within their products, which is why I think they are so a classic choice xx
    Violethollow.com

5. March 4, 2019

I love the vintage bit about rouge, it’s always my favourite to hear about history of things. My mum used to give my old fashion patterns from the thirties and forties. So lovely.

6. Oh it’s so fun seeing those old publications. Cream blush really is nice. I find it looks more natural than the powder.

7. March 7, 2019

That old magazine picture is such a great tutorial 🙂 I also love rouge. Currently, I’m using NARS, got it a year ago and it still feels almost like new, really like it! P.S. You’re right about packaging, paradoxically that also can be important sometimes! :)) Mine is not as cute as the one of Elisabeth Arden 🙂 I like glossy, golden, rose gold packagings 🙂

8. Book Goddess
    March 10, 2019

I think I remember when blush, as opposed to rouge, first came out. My recollection is that Revlon brought out blush sometime when I was a teenager – so in the late 60s. My mother and I were both intrigued by this. I remember the specific shade I bought – Tawny Pink – and I’m pretty sure there was also a lipstick by that name. My mother shortly went back to blending a few dots of lipstick on her cheeks to create a rosy glow. But I have stayed with blush.