What inspires you in the kitchen?
In this case, it was new bowls.
I added to my collection of Villeroy & Bosch Artesano dishes (see Setting the Table) with the elegant rimmed soup bowls.
So, of course, I had to make soup to test them out.
When I discovered that the beautiful Maye Musk (see Maye’s Season) has a bowl of bean soup every day—it’s her signature dish—I had to make some, too. Good health and beauty go hand in hand. As a nutritionist, Maye also cites a study showing that a serving of beans every day enhances longevity. Three good reasons to make bean soup.
This is a no-recipe recipe using standard soup methodology and what I had in my fridge and pantry.
- Heat olive oil in pot
- Add onions, celery, carrots. Sauté.
- Add a couple of cloves of sliced garlic and a pinch of red chilli flakes
- Add a can of beans
- Add a dollop of tomato paste
- Stir in broth (see Bone Broth)
- Season with salt and pepper
- Stir in cooked brown rice (optional)
- Heat and serve.
The fourth and best reason to make this soup: it’s delicious.
Especially when served in beautiful new bowls.
VILLEROY & BOCH Artesano Rim Soup, The Bay