Thy Shalt: Create A Signature
Do you have something defining about how you dress or look? A red lip? A penchant for hats?
I was once described as, That woman who always wears dresses. A signature style is like your fashion calling card. Think of Gwen Stefani’s crimson lips; Anna Wintour’s bob; Iris Apfel’s glasses (and bracelets).
Your signature style reveals something about you. To develop it, you must know yourself. What do you love? What is it that you reach for most often—jeans and a T-shirt, or a tweed suit à la Coco Chanel? What feels most authentically you?
Sometimes you find your style; sometimes your style finds you. Older women often have standout style in spades because self-knowledge and self-acceptance go hand in hand when it comes to a unique style.
And the trump card in it all? Self-confidence.
Dressing to please yourself, and not others, is what real style is all about.
POST ARTWORK: Robert Best
SEE THE SERIES:
- Style Commandment: #1: Thy Shalt: Wear Clothes That Fit
- Style Commandment #3: Thy Shalt: Be Daring
- Style Commandment #4: Thy Shalt: Improvise, Improvise, Improvise
- Style Commandment #5: Thy Shalt: Never Let Fashion Get In the Way of Style
- Style Commandment #6: Thy Shalt: Break the Rules
- Style Commandment #7: Thy Shalt: Live & Learn
- Style Commandment #8: Thy Shalt: Turn The World Into Thy Runway
- Style Commandment #9: Thy Shalt: Turn Style Into Substance