Thy Shalt: Never Let Fashion Get In the Way of Style
At a certain point, you figure out your style—what looks good on you; what you like—and, just as importantly, what you don’t.
Fashion changes at dizzying speed. Once your aim is to dress stylishly rather than fashionably, you can get off the trend merry-go-round. It’s great to know what’s happening on the runways, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you should adopt it. Instead, dress to suit yourself.
Pinpoint your best features and learn to cleverly accentuate your assets. If your waist is tiny, wear wonderful belts; if you have beautiful hands, draw attention to them with eye-catching rings and bracelets. Choose silhouettes to flatter your figure and you will always look flawless.
Wear colours that compliment your skin and hair tone. Orchestrate a colour scheme in your closet. The smaller the colour palette of your wardrobe, the easier it is to mix and match your clothes. Black +white is the epitome of chic. Ivory +navy is a classic combination. Add a punch of red to give either pairing panache. Glamorous women love their neutrals, but also have a knack for combining colours in a high-impact way when they want to make a style statement.
Dress to suit the occasion. It shows that you have thoughtfully considered your clothing choices, and by wearing something appropriate for the event, expresses your respect for the time and place, as well as for those you meet there. This means that an evening gown is perfect for the opera; jeans, a t-shirt, and espadrilles are just right for a picnic; and that yoga pants should be worn to a yoga class and not on the street in lieu of trousers or a skirt.
Choosing vintage over au courant clothing is where style inherently supersedes fashion.
Seek quality over quantity.
Buy less. Buy better.
POST ARTWORK: Robert Best
SEE THE SERIES:
- Style Commandment #1: Thy Shalt: Wear Clothes That Fit
- Style Commandment #2: Thy Shalt: Create A Signature
- Style Commandment #3: Thy Shalt: Be Daring
- Style Commandment #4: Thy Shalt: Improvise, Improvise, Improvise
- Style Commandment #5: Thy Shalt: Never Let Fashion Get In the Way of Style
- Style Commandment #6: Thy Shalt: Break the Rules
- Style Commandment #7: Thy Shalt: Live & Learn
- Style Commandment #8: Thy Shalt: Turn The World Into Thy Runway
- Style Commandment #9: Thy Shalt: Turn Style Into Substance